Disney's Frozen OST, Let It Go Goes Viral Everywhere

Every morning, I would hear a song from a video that my 3-year-old niece watch every day. The screeching voice of that "girl" started to annoy me because that song that was like coming from a tin can would wake me up every morning. I thought it was from one of those Sofia or Barbie animation. I kept hearing "Frozen" and I didn't know that it was a Disney movie.

Kids in the house kept talking about the movie. If you keep on hearing one thing every day, you'd be curious to know what it is. So, I searched the Net. Indeed, it was a Disney animation movie. The next thing I knew, I was watching the movie "Frozen". I think, the last Disney movie I saw was "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" in 2001.

The songs of "Frozen" didn't impressed me. There was nothing special about it. One day, YouTube featured a video - an Africanized Tribal cover of Let It Go that has received more than 24 million views in just a few days from when it was published (Feb 13, 2014). Curious again, I watched it. The song "Let It Go" sounded different. I thought I liked it. If not for that version, I would have not felt the beauty of the music.  If a kid, like my 3-year-old niece, could love it, then the song must be beautiful.



From one video to another, there are hundreds of versions or covers of the song "Let It Go." The song was popular and I didn't even know!

Demi Lovato's version, published Nov 1, 2013, received 84 million views.  While Idina Menzel's version, published Dec 11, 2013, received 14 million views. I didn't like both of their versions because they were like shouting from beginning to end. I wanted to hear something more controlled.

The duet version by Regine Velasquez and Julie Ann San Jose, performed on Sunday All Stars, sounded more controlled. There were soft tones that were slowly building up only towards the end. I hope to hear a version from Jonalyn Viray and JayR.

Multi-lingual Versions


There was a Korean version by Hyorin that has received 1.5 million views since it was published on Dec 31, 2013. (Unfortunately, the video has been blocked on copyright grounds.) There were other covers in different national languages : Tagalog, Japanese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Cantonese, Italian, Bulgarian, Dutch Portuguese, Polish, Ukraine, Indonesia, among others. My favorite is the German version by Lara Loft.

Instrumental Versions


The song was also played using a variety of musical instruments like guitar, piano, ukulele, violin, flute,
electric guitar, trumpet, saxophone, and viola. An acoustic version, by Sungha Jung, received 1.9 million views. He also have a ukulele version. Jun Sung Ahn's violin version received 1 million views since Jan 19, 2014. On the piano, this young man played it beautifully. This young lady (Elizabeth Saw) played it by ear and she did it gracefully (except in the bridge). 4JCBrothers did a fast tempo classical version.

Albert and Tiffany Chang performed a medley of "Frozen" songs in violin, viola, and piano. The videoraphy was impressive as well.

But the best of all was The Piano Guys' version, Vivaldi's Winter, having received 8 million views since its publication on Feb 19, 2014.




There was an acapella version by a group from Korea videoed inside a restaurant. It was boring at first, but it gets exciting towards middle. Chad McCallon did his own tenor version but there's nothing to see on his video but one picture of him. The video could have been more impressive if he was videoed while he was singing it.

My favorite among the male versions is by Sam Tsui. His video received more than 5 million views since Feb 4, 2014. He did a mashup of Let It Go / Let Her Go (Frozen/Passenger Mashup). His cover is among the best.

For the fun part, Van Con Castiel's version is not one of the best, in fact, it is not good :-) but you'd enjoy watching his video.

Comments