The Prayer of St. Francis Xavier


I love the album Himig Heswita 2. Very often, I listen to its music and sing. There's one particular song in the album that struck me most. The title is "Pagkabighani." I think that's "allured" or "mesmerized" in English. It's actually the prayer of St. Francis Xavier translated to Tagalog by Fr. Alejo, a Jesuit priest who is an authority in the Tagalog language.
If sung from the heart, it really brings me to tears welling in my eyes. The song, or the prayer, is about St. Francis's love to Jesus no matter what. Below is the prayer in English I copied from web site of Xavier School.
Prayer of St. Francis Xavier
My God, I love thee; not because I hope for heaven thereby,
nor yet because who love thee not are lost eternally.
Thou, O my Jesus, thou didst me upon the cross embrace;
for me didst bear the nails and spear, and manifold disgrace.
And griefs and torments numberless and sweat of agony;
even death itself -- and all for one
Who was thine enemy.
Then why, O blessed Jesus Christ should I not love thee well?
not for the hope of winning heaven, or of escaping hell.
not with the hope of gaining aught, nor seeking a reward,
but as thyself has lovèd me,
O ever-loving Lord!
Even so I love thee, and will love and in thy praise will sing,
solely because thou art my God, and my eternal king.

Comments